The Director of Resource Development and Communications is responsible for developing and implementing diverse strategies in resource development for the organization to include an annual fundraising plan, grant-funded programs (private, public, foundation, and government), developing communication and publicity materials, developing, and maintaining relationships with donors and volunteers, and developing and implementing a volunteer program. The Director of Development & Communications is part of the organization’s management team and works closely with and under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Resource Development/Fund Raising
- In coordination with the CEO/President, develop and implement a proactive, effective, and successful annual fundraising plan with specific goals, outcomes, and accomplishments.
- Coordinate an annual giving program to support agency goals.
- Implements the annual development plan including oversight of corporate and individual solicitations, grant writing and planning of events and meetings with existing and prospective funders.
- Research potential funding sources, such as foundations, corporations, and government.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase support from individual donors.
- Works with staff to develop and write letters and proposals for the effective solicitation of prospects.
- Works with staff to prepare and assure timely submission of grant requests to funders including city, state, federal governments and NeighborWorks® America.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with community and business leaders that may be of assistance to the organization’s success.
- Tracks all grant and contribution requests, responds to requests for additional information and works with staff to develop follow-up strategies.
- Works with Board of Director’s Resource Development & Marketing Committee and the Annual Event Taskforce to plan events and fundraising.
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary.
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fundraising processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts, and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary.
- Oversee staff responsible for the preparation of newsletters, annual reports, and all marketing materials, written and online. Oversee development, production, and distribution of purposeful, high-quality written materials, including direct mail appeals, Trellis’ annual report, marketing materials, donor communication messaging, and other Trellis publications – to include content creation, editing/proofreading, and routing/storage of materials.
- Coordinates with staff on all outgoing communications to ensure brand identity.
- Oversees staff, board, community, and corporate partners to identify and plan marketing, public relations, and community events.
- Oversees staff and volunteers which represents the organization at meetings and community events.
- Oversee the maintenance and enhancements of the donor database Administration.
- Works with the Controller to assure all grant, loan and contribution reporting and performance requirements are met on a timely basis, including the preparation of narrative reports.
- Works with the Department Directors to assure data collection meets the reporting needs of all donors and investors.
- Maintains files and records for all donors and development activities.
- Prepares written and oral reports for the CEO/President, COO, and Board of Directors.
- Position often requires additional hours beyond a regular 40-hours work week to meet project deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by leadership.
EMPLOYMENT & HIRING
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter in an email (with the subject “Director of Resource Development & Communications”) to Joel McCabe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We comply with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action laws and regulations.